This vendor’s application has been a headache for me for over a year now. We are getting close to upgrading, but there are some issues. One is why data in the new version is missing. I finally got the vendor to give me a query in the new version which was enough for me to figure out how to find the same data in the old version.
Everything I check between the two databases is consistently the same across the systems. So, why are the user interfaces different? See image right.
I have done a lot of querying now trying to gain some insight into the black box since the front line support workers are not getting me helpful information out of their “additional resources.” I’ve asked to talk to a DBA, but they do not respond to that part.
Something hurts my brain is that every table’s primary key is name “uri.” Yes, everything is a Uniform Resource Indicator. (If everything is an uri, then effectively nothing is an uri.) But then when TableA needs to reference something from TableB, then it actually has a column that describes what it is. Except in this one case I am struggling to understand where the recordUri does not match the record table’s uri column.
So what does it match? See image.
An annotated schema would help out so much right now.
My guess is a table moved and broke a customization.
I suspect the choice of URI as an acronym is because of the HTTP protocol. For a web site address, one has the protocol in http:// and the full qualified domain name like ezrasf.com and everything starting with the next slash after is the URI. And that is what set me off to write this post.
When I look through Facebook’s On This Day feature, sometimes I am startled to see that someone I expected to like a specific post did not.
This reminded me that what I post often is targeted. There are a handful of people who I know follow my posts and will appreciate them.
Friends are people who have shared experiences and/or interests. Those I target with a post are not usually tagged or named even when I intend for them to see it. The game is for them to see it as an inside joke. So for them to fail to like the post, I feel like I failed the friendship. It is like saying something that is an inside joke and get no smile.
Are we even still friends? (Sorry, just being melodramatic.) Probably. It is just a single data point. There would need to be a consistent pattern of misses.
Businesses close. Maybe it is after a few months. Maybe it is after a century. Probably it is somewhere in between.
I get amused when people who have not been to one that is closing in years get shocked when it closes. If you personally have not bothered to patronize the business, then that is a good sign that it will close. You have to support the places with your money that you want to remain available for you to visit in the future.
From Closing published January 17, 2018 at 07:48AM.
Outlook became unusable. I tried switching to the webmail, but my workflow is such that I essentially stopped checking email for last week. Meeting invites went unseen. Notifications missed my attention. Every strategy I tried to ensure that I saw the email and calendar were ineffective. So, I kind of need the application to work.
The issue appeared to be some kind of file corruption. The application would crash due to “a problem.” When I opened the application, it would claim there was an issue with the data file and ask to repair it. I allowed it. It would make a backup and repair the file and tell me all is good. Things would be fine for a while until it happened again.
Back in November it just happened twice. Then in early December, it was a couple times a week. In mid-December, it was a couple times a day. Finally, today, it would only stay open for a couple minutes.
I decided that since my data is on Exchange, that deleting the files should not really be catastrophic. Outlook should just rebuild the data files for me. So, I renamed the data files. (“Should” != “definitely would.”) They are located in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and have the file extensions .ost or .pst. I chose to rename them with “bad_”. I started Outlook again. It rebuilt the data files. I have not seen a crash since.
My guess is the repair did not actually fix the problem. Certainly, the repair tool kept identifying things to fix.
This, I think, explains the environment where I live: A nurse asked me about the book when I had just started it. I explained that it was a secular look at Jesus. She looked confused and asked what secular means. I described it as non-religious which made her look concerned. She shared that she and her husband are reading the Bible together, but it is very slow going because it is hard to read.
This does a good job of setting the environment and circumstances of the time and place where Jesus operated. It continues a bit further along the early Christian church. It explains how and why there was the first split.
Well, I knew the goals were going to be ambitious. It is still disappointing that I did not meet them. I have said that the real reason I can read so much is that my time is my own, so I can do whatever I want outside of work. That meant reading a ton. The whole having a family thing eroded much of that free time and much of what remained I spent catching up on TV shows filling up my DVR.
Let’s see just how bad it was…
Read 52 books. I have actually finished 57.
Hit 20,000 pages. I have actually finished 16,974. That is 3,026 pages short.
Read politically. Total 10. Did 11. (No bonus points for extra.)
Exercise. My trainer was made the general manager of the gym and as a result, had to give up his clients. The new trainer was working on breaking me of the bad habits in favor of how he wants me to lift. So the goals were irrecoverably not achievable. Will re-assess for 2018.