I am a fan of Jonathan Haidt. In running across this, I think it helps me understand where social conservatives are coming from. He talks about three dimensions:
- Solidarity: how close we are to something. Family are close. Strangers are far.
- Hierarchy: who is above and below.
- Divinity: closeness to a deity.
Disgust originated as a guardian for what we ate, but later adapted to preventing contamination of the body in general including morality.
Found this on The politics of disgust animated for the age of Trump.
- Donald Trump supporters think about morality differently than other voters. Here’s how. (Vox) includes a primer on Moral Foundations Theory and how it is measured.
- YourMorals.Org will let you test yourself.
From Disgust and politics published June 13, 2016 at 09:29PM.