This talk resonated very deeply in part because so much of the media I consume. Of the Marvel and DC heroes, Batman and Ironman, two billionaires who are brilliant, resourceful, and psychologically broken are my idols. I love Sherlock Holmes and Frank Underwood for their insights into the frailty of human goodness. Maybe I should reconsider.
The post TED Talk: Byron to Batman appeared first on Rants, Raves, and Rhetoric v4.
From TED Talk: Byron to Batman published April 26, 2016 at 06:12PM.
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Found the writing pretty dry. Plenty of characters who go by their name, nickname, or title. So it was easy to lose track of what is happening when reading in little spurts, which probably set me back about 25% my normal pace just from backtracking to figure out what is happening.
About halfway in, I realized an ancestor executed at the Tower of London was around in this period. It was only in the last pages that I remembered he married into the Howard family, which made him an ally of Thomas Boleyn, Anne’s father. Looking at the data, I think Anne Boleyn is like my 1st cousin 15x removed. So the whole Henry VIII drama became more family lore than it ever has priod.
View all my reviews
The post Review: Wolf Hall appeared first on Rants, Raves, and Rhetoric v4.
From Review: Wolf Hall published April 22, 2016 at 05:59PM.
A spoken word piece at TEDxUGA which I enjoyed.
The post TED Talk: Open your library, share your story appeared first on Rants, Raves, and Rhetoric v4.
From TED Talk: Open your library, share your story published April 19, 2016 at 06:23PM.
Doing a training thing for work next week. The training coordinator sent an email to 25 of us about how to access the learning portal. The username is email and password is a single word with an exclamation point. My first instinct was get in ASAP and change the password since so many other people have access to my password.
There is no link. I click and click and clink. I cannot find it.
Finally, I look at the source code and notice features in it that reveal this portal is running on WordPress. So, I added “wp-admin/profile.php” to the URL and get a 404. I added it to the domain and bingo, I was at my own profile. So, I used the WordPress password feature to generate a strong password and change it.
I wonder how many people have taken training from these people and bothered to change the password?
The post Scary Password Policy appeared first on Rants, Raves, and Rhetoric v4.
From Scary Password Policy published April 19, 2016 at 05:37PM.
My first in person TEDxUGA was last year. I returned again this year. It opened with this spoken word poem to set this year’s theme: Illuminate.
The post TED Talk: Star to universe appeared first on Rants, Raves, and Rhetoric v4.
From TED Talk: Star to universe published April 12, 2016 at 06:01PM.
In Gmail, the Google Hangouts icon showed I had a new message. If there is an indicator of something new, then I must clear it. Not an obsession or a compulsion, but it makes me uncomfortable to have unread things laying around.
The conversation list only showed old items. There were a couple near the top which looked bold, so I clicked on them. Neither cleared the green “1” indicating I had a new message.
So… I clicked on ALL the conversations.
Now the icon says I have SIX new messages.
The post Hangouts New Message Annoyance appeared first on Rants, Raves, and Rhetoric v4.
From Hangouts New Message Annoyance published April 07, 2016 at 05:54PM.
- Read 75 books. I should be at 18.75 read by this point. So, 18 is pretty good.
- Hit 25,000 pages. I should be at 6,250 pages read, so my 6,270 is on pace.
- Finish series already started. I finished the Millennium series (one book) and Robot series (eight books) plus some of the Expanse books. Just 11-12 to go.
- Bench 240 pounds (1RM equivalent). Hitting about 180.83 according to the app’s numbers. Doing a real 1 rep max in January, I hit 165.
- Squat 300 pounds (1RM eq). Hitting about 250.83 according to the app. Doing a 1 rep max in January, I hit 245.
- Deadlift 335 pounds (1RM eq). Hitting about 294 according to the app. Doing a 1 rep max in January, I hit 325.
- Drop to 20% body fat. No progress.
- Do the White and Orange trails in under an hour. I did manage to bring this down to one hour 4 minutes 8 seconds. Since the weather is warmer, I will give it a few more goes to see if I can manage it. The challenge is this is a hilly area and not to lose too much pace going up. I tried running up and that was not working very well, so will do more letting gravity do its thing.
- Attend 12 social events when invited. I skipped one and will attend one. So par?
The post Resolution Progress 2016: First Quarter appeared first on Rants, Raves, and Rhetoric v4.
From Resolution Progress 2016: First Quarter published April 02, 2016 at 08:26AM.